Purpose of Study
Art, craft and design embody some of the highest forms of human creativity. At Manor Park we provide opportunities for a high-quality art and design education which aims to engage, inspire and challenge pupils, equipping them with the knowledge and skills to experiment, invent and create their own works of art, craft and design. They learn to think critically and develop a more rigorous understanding of art and design. They learn how art and design both reflects and shapes our history, and contributes to the culture, creativity and wealth of our nation.
Pupils learn to:
- Explore and use media and materials:
Sing songs, make music and dance, and experiment with ways of changing them.
- Safely use and explore a variety of materials, tools and techniques, experimenting with colour, design, texture, form and function.
- To be imaginative: use what they have learnt about media and materials in original ways, thinking about uses and purposes.
- Represent their own ideas, thoughts and feelings through design and technology, art, music, dance, role-play and stories.
Key Stage 1
Pupils learn to:
- Use a range of materials creatively to design and make products
- Produce creative work, exploring their ideas and recording their experiences.
- To use drawing, painting, sculpture and other art, craft and design techniques, e.g. weaving and sculpting with mod-roc.
- Evaluate and analyse creative works using the language of art, craft and design.
- Know about the work of great artists, craft makers and designers, e.g. studying 1960’s artists and African designers.
- Create a piece of work in response to another artist’s work.